Pages

Saturday 30 August 2014

Tai Thong mooncake 2014

I'm back! As I had promised, I'm going to write up mooncakes! (Well, that's what I usually do every year...)

It's 1 week before the Mid-Autumn festival! I have write out early! (Unlike last year's...)

I'm going to start with Tai Thong's. This year they introduced a lot of snow-skin durian mooncakes, but I'm not interested in them, because I'm never a fan of durians (and I hate the smell of durians).
I don't see something special about this box.
This time I bought snow-skin mooncakes only, so expect to be a snowy-skinned-colourful-mooncake post this time.

Them colours!
Starting of with my long-time family favourite: Red Bean Paste
Snow Skin Red Bean (冰皮豆沙)
Nothing special about it, but it's price is cheaper than the other mooncakes, the rest of the flavours cost more than RM15 (now that's crazy). It not only tastes good, but the skin makes this mooncake look so fluffy...
So fluffy...
And I'm never getting tired of taking pictures of it.
Black and white, you ask?
From a different angle.
Well, that's the best mooncake picture I had taken...
Snow Skin Honey Lemon Grapefruit (冰皮西柠蜂蜜柚子)
Ah... the citrus mooncake. I had tried one with citrus and red bean. So sad that it never reappeared this year... (sobs) Anyhow, this mooncake has honey grapefruit on the top part and lemon paste at the bottom part. Sweet enough to fit my taste. When I cut it, the honey is kind of sticky...
Too sticky perhaps?
I liked this mooncake so much that I even take 2 pieces of it.
Snow Skin Tropical Trio (冰皮芒果西柚翡翠)
THIS! is the flavour that last year I wanted to buy... But it was out of stock. So sad... Luckily I was able to get them! So excited about this until I cut it, not as exciting as it looks.
Who am I supposed to take the picture of?
The green paste is pandan, the yellow paste is the mango and the orange is grapefruit (I may have to reconfirm). It tasted fine, but the middle part seems to taste weird. The not exciting part is that when I cut it, the middle part is crumbling. I even cut it that half of the mooncake piece comes out! As long as it crumbles but not an egg yolk, I'm fine with it.
And it sticks.
Last minute update!
Snow Skin Lotus Paste (冰皮莲蓉)
Notice something different about the Snow Skin Lotus? Well it is coated with pink Osmanthus skin. Same as I tried the green pandan-skinned Lotus two years ago, decently sweet. However, my grandmother still found it too sweet.
Be smart about your budget, as I say.

Original price for the mooncakes I bought (altogether): RM58
Discount: 25%
Pay: RM43.50

Hey, that's a new record on how much I paid as low as possible!

I enjoyed these snow-skins, except for the Tropical Trio.

So get your mooncakes before they sold out!

My rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment