Pages

Monday 16 September 2013

Tai Thong mooncake 2013

Alright, sorry for the long hiatus.

Anyhow, the Mid-Autumn Festival is like 3 days away, and I have to post up some mooncakes! Anyhow... Let's start from Tai Thong, shall we?

The mooncake box cover
If you look carefully, the box cover uses batik-styled art, representing the Malaysian culture. The mooncakes by Tai Thong for this year will be Malaysian-themed (some based on local delicacies).
Limau Manis (桔子酸梅陈皮豆沙)
Limau Manis, means Sweet Lime in Malay, is a type of citrus fruit found in Southeast Asia (erm... I think I need to do some research). For this mooncake, the 'Limau' is the outer filling made of tangerine and calamansi (Limau kesturi) citrus, while the 'Manis' is the inner red bean paste filling. As a long time consumer of red bean paste mooncakes, I couldn't agree more. At the first second thought I thought that the citrus paste is lemon. I think I noticed that the red bean paste shine under the light, or it was me...
This has got to be the best red bean paste mooncake I ever tasted!
Emerald Ferringhi (雪皮翡翠粟米)
The Emerald Ferrnighi has a white mooncake skin studded with chia-seeds, with pandan as the outer filling and Cameron sweet corn as the inner filling. Beautiful-looking, but I found the Cameron sweet corn to be odd to me. My mother thought that it's a snow-skin mooncake, and I have to use a long time to cut the mooncake out (desperately).
And the most odd thing about this mooncake is that the bottom part of the mooncake skin has the skin of a normal  mooncake! I think this mooncake was overburnt during baking...
Don't judge a mooncake by its skin!
Pineapple Sesame Crunch (芝麻绿豆凤梨酥)
The Pineapple Sesame Crunch has the sesame and green bean paste as the outer filling with a pineapple tart at the center. Not my taste. First, green bean and sesame doesn't make a good combination for me; Second, the pineapple tart crumbles like a yolk in a mooncake.
It's crumbling...
And why there's a bump at the bottom of the mooncake skin?
I think it's the pineapple tart...
I also bought a Red bean paste, but it was a gift for my sister's friend.

That time there was a Buy 4 Free 1 promotion. The free mooncake is always the mooncake not mentioned in the menu.
Pandan Raspberry (翡翠桑梅月)
The Pandan Raspberry is one of the mooncakes not mentioned in the menu. I really liked the mooncake. I wish they introduce it in next year so I can draw it out. Yesterday I visited the neighbourhood store and there was a Grapefruit Blueberry mooncake as the free mooncake. I should have bought Tai Thong's instead of the other brands. I really regretted my decision.

The prices has risen again and I have to make up my pay.

Original price for the mooncakes I bought (altogether): RM60
Discount: 30%
Pay: RM42

I wanted to buy the snow skin Tropical Trio, but unfortunately it was sold out...

Anyway, so get your mooncakes before they sold out!

My rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment